Monday, May 17, 2010

Boneless Beef Ribs


So after Wendy's suggestion about boneless beef ribs I decided to give it a whirl! I headed out to the grocery store in my hometown on Saturday. I was a bit under the weather and didn't want to travel far. I had decided that I was going to go oriental on this project. I walk into the store, into the produce department to find the first thing I wasn't going to find, fresh ginger. I think to myself not the end of the world I can use ground ginger even though I don't want to but whatever, I am a go with the flow kinda girl. Then I go to the meat department and you guessed it, no boneless beef ribs, so I think to myself what other semi badish cut of meat can I buy to substitute in place of the ribs. Well my choices were ground beef, a not so fresh looking roast or a steak. I decided on a flat iron steak. This is not a bad cut of meat it can be fatty and really shouldn't be cooked past medium.
I decide to marinate the steak over night. My marinade includes random amounts of the following items; soy sauce, ground ginger, a ton of garlic, sesame oil, and some fresh ground pepper. I put this in an airtight container and forget about it. I also cook off two cups of white rice, so I will have it ready to make fried rice.
I fire up the charcoal grill and start to prepare my veggies for the fried rice. I am all about using what is laying around in the fridge so my fried rice veggies included; morel mushrooms, asparagus, fresh chives, and fresh carrots, all diced in to uniform small pieces.
To make the fried rice I heat some oil in a pan, once it is hot I crack two eggs into the pan and scramble them around. Once the eggs are cooked I take them out add some more oil and throw in the rest of my veggies. When the veggies are tender I put in the cooked cooled white rice and stir it around until it is warmed through. I then add soy sauce and some pepper, then throw the scrambled eggs back in and it is done. While all this was happening I put the steaks on the grill whole and cooked them to medium rare, or how ever you like it. When they were done I let them rest for a few minutes then sliced them and served them over fried rice.
Overall the dish was a big success, just ask Scott I do believe he had three servings, next time though I would have saved some of the marinade and made a sauce. I would have cooked it and either let it reduce until it was thick or thickened it with cornstarch. I will be making this dish again. I also believe that it could be done with just about any cut of meat, beef or poultry. I remembered to take a picture this time too! I am not a photographer but you get the just of it. Enjoy

2 comments: