Saturday, May 15, 2010

Creamy Asparagus Soup

Of course the weekend that I have off I get a horrible sore throat, instantly I think soup! Now what's in my fridge... nothing! Luckily my fabulous fiancée is extremely frugal and has been picking asparagus from the side of the road by the truck full. This only means one thing.... you guessed it, creamy asparagus soup.

I start by putting about two tablespoons of bacon fat in a hot sauce pot. By the way you absolutely need to be saving your bacon fat and keeping it in the fridge! I can't tell you how often I use my bacon fat, it can add that extra something to what ever it is your making. Then I put about three cups of washed and diced fresh asparagus in the fat. I let this sweat for a few minutes until it is bright green. Then I add about two tablespoons of minced garlic. I also add about a quarter cup of chicken base, then about half a cup of flour to make a roux. I stir this until it is mixed in and there is no visible flour left in the pan. I then pour about three to four cups of skim milk in to the pan. I let the milk heat up and once it does the roux starts to work and it gets nice and thick and creamy. Then I cut up about 3/4 cups of fresh chives, they grow randomly outside in the woods by my house from the previous owners I assume. I take half of the mixture out and puree it with my immersion blender, shout out to my future mother in law for the awesome x-mas gift. I then add it back to the soup, call Scott inside for dinner and enjoy the hot soothing soup on my horribly sore throat!

Side Note: I currently have some beef marinating for my boneless rib dish that I am creating for Wendy. Stay tuned, I plan to have it for supper tomorrow night. I will try to remember to take a picture this time before I pig out!

No comments:

Post a Comment